welcome
myrtle beach, south carolina. a fun, quirky, bustling beachside city full of things to do, people to see, and places to visit. it's a little bit like a tossed salad when it comes to its residents and it's got a million and one things to do. if you want to join, please register with a First and Last name with regular caps. ie: Davey Jones.
staff
featured
credits
app credit goes to echo at shine. hover credits go to imagehover. icons credit to font awesome and ionicons. toggle cbox credit to thunderstruck of shine. affie table credit to ShimmeringWitchy at Shine. default avatar code by posiden5665. skin and general templates made by nat for closer. characters, images, templates, etc, belong their respective owners. please do not steal.

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

JUST LIKE THIS., Anya | june 3
Outfit

Griffin looked down at his phone and then up at the Starbucks sign, making sure that he got the correct address. Although he wanted to come here immediately after he landed back in the US (and in his formal uniform nonetheless), he had to go see his family first AND he concluded that he would probably die of heat if he wore that in Myrtle Beach in June.

He pulled a face. It wasn't about what he was wearing, it was about the fact that he was back home, in one piece, and ready to move forward with his life.

It had been a stepping stone in his life. Personal growth, monetary growth, a time to be away from everything and come to understand his priorities. That wasn't to say the three years weren't hard on him, but Griffin had no regrets about his decision.

It was hell, but now he knew that he could make it through hell and back alive. The limitations that had been placed on him felt non-existent.

He heaved a sigh and pushed open the door inside, grateful for the air conditioning. There was only a few people in line - they would be closing up soon - but he didn't want to catch Anya in the middle of her shift. Standing in line, he looked down at his phone and then turned his body to look behind him at some of the stuff they had (mugs and the like) while the person in front of him went up to make their order.

A few minutes passed and he remained transfixed on a travel mug, wondering if it was worth getting a Starbucks one for when he started work and school. He heard her call for the next person in line and when he approached the register, she had a cup in hand with the sharpie, but her head was turned as the customer before her asked her about directions somewhere.

When they stopped and before she could turn to face him, Griffin smiled and placed his order. "A venti Midnight Mint Mocha Frap. For Griffin. -I-N, not -E-N," he said casually, but the grin only grew when she looked at him.

age 21
timezone EST
pronounsShe/Her
15 posts
21 years old
Griff
Security
Taken
^
It had been a long shift that day. The first shift after school had ended and the first shift of her summer break. She hadn't even unpacked her things into her new studio apartment yet -- the one her mom was helping her to rent for the summer [and probably beyond, because if Anya had to spend one more iota of time with Amberlynn, she might scream]. She had a long day, several frustrating customers -- who'd been served decaf for their irritating behaviours -- and she really just wanted to get through these last few people so she could go home.

She heard the door jingle as it was opened again and she groaned, but then her coworker went to switch off all the 'open' signs and flip the door sign around too and Anya was grateful for that. The new person was absolutely transfixed by the travel mugs so she had to call out "Next, please!" when he didn't realize that he was the last guy they were waiting on.

Sharpie in hand and ready to grab a cup of his preferred size, she turned her head to answer the other customer's question. "Um ... Down the road, take a left and it's the third street on the right ... I think!" She heard his order and wrote it down ...

And then her eyes flicked upward at the sound of the name and the spelling.

Her heart literally skipped a beat.

She stopped breathing for a solid two or three heartbeats.

And then she dropped the cup and the sharpie as her hands went to her mouth and her eyes filled with tears.

"Griffin?" She asked through her hands. "I didn't ... I didn't expect you until Christmas!" She stammered.

Anya didn't pick up his cup or wait until her coworker gave her permission, she flew from behind the counter and literally leaped at Griffin, throwing herself at him and wrapping her arms and legs around him as she buried her face into his neck and took a deep, deep breath. "Oh my god, it really is you. Oh Griff. I've missed you so much, I can't even ..." Her tears finally got the best of her and she went quiet, clinging to her very best friend for dear life.

age 28
timezone PST
pronounsShe/Her
133 posts
20 years old
Little A
barista @ starbucks
taken by griffin
^
"Ah yeah, about that," he rubbed the back of his neck, but before he could get into any explanation about the future and what he was going to be doing, she came out from behind the counter and nearly clobbered him.

Well, if she wasn't tiny and if he didn't just come back from military service.

In fact, she felt lighter than usual.

He held her in silence for a while, letting her emotions get the better of her. When it finally subsided, Griffin cleared his throat and attempted to make things seem a little lighter. "Am I still getting my frap orrr?" he laughed.

age 21
timezone EST
pronounsShe/Her
15 posts
21 years old
Griff
Security
Taken
^
Anya held onto Griff tightly, not wanting to let him go. He'd been overseas for the better part of three or four years now and Anya missed him terribly. Skype, emails, snail mail ... It was nothing compared to the real thing, nothing compared to holding her favourite person in the world in her arms again.

Not that she really could because holy shit Griffin had bulked up. Long gone was the skinny kid with a smooth face and a weird hairdo, now he was buff, bulky, and had some scruff. Anya pulled away and let her feet dangle so she could drop to the floor. Griffin has handsome now, she had to admit, and he looked good.

She nodded and laughed, before slipping behind the counter again, only to find that her co-worker had picked up her slack, apparently realizing that this was a special moment. "Thanks, Andy," she shot him a grateful look and held out her hand for Griff's money.

"When did you get back? Where's your uniform? How long are you here?" It was a non-stop barrage of questions that she would likely get the answer to as the night progressed.

age 28
timezone PST
pronounsShe/Her
133 posts
20 years old
Little A
barista @ starbucks
taken by griffin
^
It felt good to see Anya again.

Well, it felt more than good, but that was how he was explaining it to himself. For the duration of his service, he knew that if he thought too much about home and about seeing his family and friends, he wouldn't make it through the experience.

So a part of him had to push through like a robot. It was the same part, he figured, that had prevented him from internalising the events during his service and why he felt like, despite everything said and done, he was okay (physically, mentally, emotionally).

But he really did miss Anya.

Griffin dug into his pocket and pulled out a twenty dollar bill. "Thanks. It's fucking hot here, do you know that? Shit," he laughed.

He should have been more surprised when the barrage of questions came, but it was to be expected. "I got back...like last week? Sunday, I think." he said as he took the frap and took a sip. Fuck it, he was allowed basic drinks from Starbucks too.

"I came back to NYC first so my uniform's back there. I had to deal with so many snot-covered siblings," he said playfully. Of course Jasper didn't cry, but he had that stupid look that he always got when he was trying not to and that was more than enough for Griffin.

"I'm done. I'm out, that's it. Your mom was my co-conspirator in this for like...a year. She said Christmas but we both knew I would be back for the summer. Actually...I applied to Kinsey for criminal justice - ah, I got in," he smiled warmly. "So...hi."

age 21
timezone EST
pronounsShe/Her
15 posts
21 years old
Griff
Security
Taken
^
Anya couldn't help but chuckle as she handed Griffin back his change. "You say that like you haven't been in Iraq where you can fry and egg on a car! Don't give me that it's too hoooooot speech!"

She felt giddy. She felt excited, she felt ... Well she was fucking Tinkerbell and she just felt so happy, so elated that it was all that her body could tolerate at the moment. She didn't even have enough room to feel upset that she hadn't been the first person he saw or that her mother had been his co-conspirator in all of this.

She stopped and looked at him, her jaw dropped to the floor, when he said he was going to Kinsey next fall, when he flat out told her that he was home and for good. Anya felt a fresh round of tears stinging her eyes and she quickly cashed out her register and set it aside so she could count the till while Andy did his. Griffin could stay and chat with her while she cleaned up. Somehow she thought Andy might be 'in the know' on Griffin's timing and wouldn't have any issue with it.

"Griff that's ... Holy shit, that's amazing! You'll be at Kinsey with me and we'll be together again ... Just like high school ..." Her smile was soft, nostalgic, though laced with some regret. They'd had a few rough patches in high school and Anya hadn't been terribly sure that they'd make up, but they had ... And then Griffin had left for Basic and then transferred out to Iraq shortly after. He wouldn't talk about his work or his experience and Anya had done her research and knew that that was common. But no matter what, she would be there for him.

She placed all of the till's money in the bag, zipped it, and handed it over to Andy before she reached over the counter and gripped Griffin's hand tightly. "I'm glad that you're home. I'm excited that you're going to be at Kinsey. I just ... I can't even English properly to say how I feel ..."

age 28
timezone PST
pronounsShe/Her
133 posts
20 years old
Little A
barista @ starbucks
taken by griffin
^
It was hot there, but it was a dry heat. It felt different than this kind of heat and he wasn't sure how to properly explain it to Anya. Being so close to a body of water made everything so humid and he felt it to his core. He sweated a lot out there, but here it felt ten times worse.

No wonder people hid around in cafes with air conditioning. Just because he'd gotten used to the conditions there didn't mean he couldn't complain a bit about the conditions here. Especially after New York had been so mild.

"Except I'm going to be starting as a freshman with all of the 18 year olds," he laughed sheepishly. "I guess my habit for being in classes with people younger than me lives on. What year are you now?"

Her mother had filled him in, naturally, but it was natural conversation to ask her about that sort of thing. He missed all of her dance shows. He missed the competitions. Sometimes he would get pictures from her mother and he would show everyone around him because he was so proud of her. So, so proud. He'd always been, no matter how far apart they were, and it sucked because deep down he wondered if she thought that he didn't care because he wasn't there.

(There were also many questions about whether she was his girlfriend from the other guys but that was another story).

Griffin smiled. It was really nice to be home.

He took another sip of his frap and squeezed her hand. "Yeah, I managed to somehow scrape through with a soccer scholarship here so that'll be cool. Are you living here during the summer too?"

age 21
timezone EST
pronounsShe/Her
15 posts
21 years old
Griff
Security
Taken
^
Anya was so used to the humid heat of the summer and spring now that she failed to notice the difference anymore. Griffin would have to explain a lot of things to her -- one of them being how she'd completely missed how much he'd bulked up in the time he'd been gone. Pictures in his fatigues had done him no justice whatsoever, in her opinion. She had definitely needed to see the real thing live and in person.

"I'll be a senior, but I think Kinsey's going to be offering up a grad program for certain arts programs and if so, I'll probably be around another two or three years. I'm still in my prime, so that means the NYCB will still take me, I'm sure. Mollee and Tony are also staying another year -- remember I told you about them? Mollee will be super excited to meet her dad's biggest fan," she replied with a wink.

She had been hurt, of course, that he couldn't make her shows, but she knew that her mother had recorded them and took countless pictures for Griffin's benefit. It was hard knowing that he hadn't been there to support her or to cheer her on until after the fact, but that was all going to change now and she was so happy that he could be there for her. She needed him, even still, even as an adult, and having him back in her life as an actual breathing human being was going to be wonderful.

She nodded. "Mhmm, mom is helping me pay for a little studio for the summer ... And now I know why! Because it was all just a huge setup for when you came home! I swear you two are devious and would plot world domination if you could." She let go of his hand when Andy brought out a mop and bucket for her. "I'll do the tables, Andy, I want to yak at Griff." He nodded and got to work cleaning the machines while Anya slipped from behind the counter again and made her way to a table to lift the chairs up.

"You can stay with me if you don't really have anywhere else. I mean, it's not a huge place, but the couch folds out? Or y'know, we can cuddle ... In fact, I demand cuddles. You don't get out of cuddles, bub," she laughed.

age 28
timezone PST
pronounsShe/Her
133 posts
20 years old
Little A
barista @ starbucks
taken by griffin
^
"Grad school, look at you," he grinned. Although their friendship had suffered a bit in high school, he would always think about Anya affectionately and fondly. She was, after all, someone who had been with him for a long time, and she was there through thick and thin.

He knew that him leaving for the army was something that was absolutely terrifying, especially with what happened to her father, but it was something that Griffin felt he needed to do. He needed to be selfish in that moment, because he knew that if he didn't separate himself from things in the worst way possible, he'd be stuck.

Stuck in a cycle of regret.

Stuck trying to relive memories of a future that wasn't meant for him.

Stuck not knowing what his purpose was.

He'd always had to be the grown up at home, but now he had grown up for real. This was not only about paying bills or making sure everybody was fed and asleep. This was the sort of maturity that concerned himself and only himself -- the kind where he learned about who he was, his emotions, his capabilities, his limitations, and so on.

It wasn't pleasant but he couldn't say he regretted it.

"Oh, yeah, that's his daughter," he murmured, trying to conjure up an image in his head. He'd seen her a few times when her father took her out to celebrate trophies, but that had been a long time and she was as young as him then.

"Uhhh, nope. That has nothing to do with me," he said with a shrug. "I didn't know anything about studio apartments here in the summer. I came here to visit you, yeah, but I also needed to sort out some things with the university about transcripts and scholarships and financial aid," he wrinkled his nose.

It felt as if there was a but at the end of his statement. But after this, I'm going back to New York. There wasn't. There was a weird type of freedom. He came home and things were okay. His mother split with Stan and found the gentle guy she needed, one who could actually provide for the family. In the time that Griffin was there, he could see that his mom's new boyfriend was actually great with the rest of his family, and he treated his siblings with the respect they deserved (even though JJ and Jenny and Grey were not even his mother's).

Jasper was grown up, JJ was getting there. Jenny was so much bigger than he could remember and Grey...he'd grown the most, naturally.

But his mother had changed too. She was happier - hell, she was glowing. He could almost see the woman who was best friends with Amber and suddenly, their friendship made sense. He'd always wondered how a wonderful woman like Amber could be best friends with someone like his mother, but underneath everything, it looked like his mother was just as lost as he had been.

Things were going well and they had moved closer to Amber. Their family had money. They were doing well.

Without him.

It felt a bit bittersweet, but it was only then that Griffin realized the burden that he had felt from taking care of them lifted from his shoulders. In the time he was gone, they'd grown up to.

Things were okay.

He didn't have to go back to how things used to be.

And part of his maturing allowed him to throw away statements like but I have to go back to New York and replace it with something else. "Are you asking me to live with you?" he asked playfully.

age 21
timezone EST
pronounsShe/Her
15 posts
21 years old
Griff
Security
Taken
^
CONTENT WARNING: death, suicidal thoughts/idealations

Anya had been devastated when he had announced that he was leaving for the Army. She had begged and pleaded and practically groveled at his feet as his deployment for Basic grew closer and closer. She hadn't wanted to lose him, she'd been terrified to lose him; terrified of having to stand at an airport and watch another person from her family be brought home in a pine box, flag over top, carried off of a cargo plane by six other men in uniform.

Anya would not have handled a second death well.

It wouldn't have been Griffin fighting for his life, battling it out with thoughts of suicide, it would have been Anya. She couldn't fathom a world where both her father and oldest, best friend were not in it.

She could see the changes in him, though. Obviously, his physical appearance was one of them, but the way he carried himself, the way his shoulders sat told a story that Anya was sure she wouldn't get to hear much of, but absolutely wanted to know more of. But she remembered how her dad couldn't always talk after a case, she remembered the tortured looks in his eyes when they couldn't solve something or save someone and Anya could see, behind the depth of Griffin's beautiful blue eyes, that he had seen things that would haunt him forever. Anya vowed then, as she watched him, that she would be there for him for anything and everything that he went through. If he needed a shoulder, she would be that shoulder. If he needed his space, she would give him that space. Anya, cuddly and intimate though she was, had learned boundaries [some, anyway] in the time he'd been away and she would respect the hell out of anything he asked of her.

Griffin deserved to be respected. He was an ex-soldier and he had fought for their country, for their freedom, for the freedom of people overseas and that obviously meant something to him.

"Yeah, she's about your age, and she says her dad might want to meet you, too. He sometimes stops by the university practices and stuff. He's a cool guy, you'll really like him," she replied with a smile. Anya moved to another table as Griffin talked. She thought that there was a but in there; some stipulation that meant he would have to go back to New York and leave her in Myrtle Beach. She expected a but ... But it never came.

Her eyes caught him and she shrugged nonchalantly. "I mean, if you want to." She didn't want to pressure him if he didn't want that. Once upon a time, she would have, but she'd matured over the years and she didn't want to pester him or bother him with her trivial life. "It's okay if you have somewhere else or some other plans ..."

age 28
timezone PST
pronounsShe/Her
133 posts
20 years old
Little A
barista @ starbucks
taken by griffin
^
"I mean, I've seen him on TV and he seemed really cool," he smiled.

Relics of the past.

He wasn't able to watch Man Utd (maybe it was for the best, or he would be rather disappointed with the turn of events), but sometimes he would think about it. He had believed that his entire life was shaped by the pure desire to play, that playing had been the only thing that pushed him forward in life.

It was something that he reflected on for a long time before he decided to join the army. He thought back to the types of petty crimes he did with his friends, all kids from a rough neighbourhood with parents who weren't good at parenting and contempt toward how cruel life could have been.

He remembered loving soccer even then, and he remembered trespassing on private school fields with his friends. But even more than that, his mom's new boyfriend, or someone he actually knew for a long time, had done more for him than anything else.

Griffin remembered getting caught. He remembered the sirens and his friends running and he remembered stupidly hanging there on the fence because his pants got caught and he couldn't free himself.

And the cop, the one who was his mother's friend, pulled him off and began lecturing him up until the point where Griffin's stomach started rumbling.

They went to McDonalds after. And while Griffin angrily munched on a burger, it was the same cop who told him that he could be better. And whenever he got busted again, the man had the patience of a saint and kept telling him that until Griffin eventually believed it.

He went to private school for soccer. Up until his injury, it had set him away from crime and the legal system.

He had deep respect for everything that man did for him, and now he felt even more in-debt because he was doing the same for the rest of the family. He'd asked Amber about it over the few days that he'd been back, and she had smiled and told him that he'd dated his mother before, but they broke up over something stupid and petty and by the time he wanted to set things right, she was pregnant with Griffin.

Pregnant and in love with a terrible father-to-be.

His mother had a terrible track record with men and it took a lot for her to realize just how bad things were. Deep down, Amber told him, she probably always loved him, but might have felt that he was too good for her.

That was the first time he'd heard anything significant about his mother's personal life. A few days ago. It was crazy to Griffin.

It sounded so terrible - to lose the girl you cared about and then watch her make mistakes over and over again for most of her life. But, despite that, he'd never hated Griffin or Jasper or any of the kids that represented the man that took away the woman he loved.

He'd treated them with respect and dignity.

He was closer to a father figure than anyone else Griffin could remember.

There was a moral to this story that he couldn't quite place, but it had hit him hard. Either way, he was grateful that things worked out in the end, and the same man who was now with his mother was the one who inspired him to be a better person.

It felt stupid but he wanted to do the same to others. After his service, Griffin decided to do criminal justice because he wanted to give someone else the chance that he was given. He wanted to protect those he cared about.

It made stomaching the loss of his dream life easier. At least he could still make a difference in someone's life.

Griffin swallowed hard.

A difference in someone's life...

"I don't have anywhere to stay here or in New York. I could stay with my family but...I don't really want to live with them," he said slowly, feeling the weight of each word as it came out. "And Myrtle Beach is such a nice place. Vacation-city 24/7. If you have space..." he scratched his face a little bashfully, "I don't mind filling in the vacant spot."

age 21
timezone EST
pronounsShe/Her
15 posts
21 years old
Griff
Security
Taken
^
Anya had heard a bunch about Griffin's mother's life through her own, but only recently and she'd been sworn to secrecy. She hadn't wanted to spoil things for Griff, knowing full well that he'd always felt responsible for caring for and taking care of his siblings. In fact, she wondered how he felt about someone else bringing them joy and happiness and made it a point to ask about it later on when they were alone.

She finally had all of the chair placed on the tables and wheeled the mop out to start on the floors, which were sticky and coffee stained in many places; sometimes working at a Starbucks could be gross. As it was, she smelled like burnt coffee and her shirt and apron had multiple stains all over them.

Anya hadn't been through anything like Griffin had. She'd been a university student, struggling a little to find a balance between the money her mom sent her each month and the money she earned for her part-time shifts in order to help pay for new dance supplies or her car and insurance. She had lived a so-called 'normal' life while Griffin had been away. She'd fought with her mom and her sister, she'd left New York hot-heated sometimes, but in the end, she'd always made up with her family, always been there for them and vice versa. She couldn't imagine the things Griffin must be internalizing now that he was home. He was so different already and Anya hoped, right then, that he wasn't so different that they couldn't be close anymore.

It would be like losing him to the Army all over again.

She looked up at him when he finally came to a settled conclusion about staying with her and her smile grew, filling her face and reaching her eyes. She nodded enthusiastically. "Then it's settled, you're staying with me. It is small, though, but I mean, we used to hole ourselves up in dorm rooms as kids and this is at least bigger than that!" She moved to a new area to mop and slid a little on the floor as she did so, catching herself on a nearby table.

"Do you have any summer plans, yet? We could do whatever you wanted. I can give you a tour of the city if you want? There's literally everything to do here. It's like ... You never run out of stuff to do -- and the resort is always holding cool events and the like. Eli -- the other friend I was telling you about -- he works at the resort so I sneak into things a lot," she blushed a little at the thought of how 'sneaking in' was technically not allowed, but she did it anyway. At this point, most of Eaton's staff knew who she was and paid her no mind. Especially now that Mikey was working there, too. "Just name it."

age 28
timezone PST
pronounsShe/Her
133 posts
20 years old
Little A
barista @ starbucks
taken by griffin
^
"Believe me when I say that I don't care. I've slept just about everywhere. When you want to sleep it doesn't matter how big or small things are," he said. That being said, despite Anya's small stature, he'd definitely bulked up a lot. They were able to share their bed in school (when he still went to private school before his injury) fairly decently. It wouldn't be the same now. How big was her bed?

"I..." he watched her for a few moments and then burst out laughing. "I don't have any plans. I don't have anything right now," he said with a warm smile. "I literally just got here and I have no plans beyond sorting out all of the paperwork with the university."

It felt so strange to be talking with Anya again. To see her.

He wanted to reach out again and check if she was real. It had taken him the week to get used to being back in NYC - surely this would take a lot longer.

"Let's start with something simple. Tell me where I can take you tonight. Either to eat or just to hang around or anything. But not a bar though," he laughed. "Since you're still not 21."

age 21
timezone EST
pronounsShe/Her
15 posts
21 years old
Griff
Security
Taken
^
She had to laugh at him, and it felt so good to laugh with him, at the same time, and in the same place. Nothing like over skype. This was a million times better than any Skype call. There was, ideally, only her and Griff while Andy stayed clear of their conversation and space. "Well my bed's a Queen and I think the pullout is a full, so I mean, either way I think that's more room than anything you've been used to, yeah?" she asked.

God she wanted to know more about his lfie overseas. She wanted to hear the good as well as the bad; the ups and the downs, the losses and the wins, but she wanted to give him time to recouperate, to heal, to get his feet solidly back on American Soil before she made any attempts to talk to him about his life as a soldier.

"Then we'll make some, Groot," she replied softly, using the nickname she'd given him. She'd fallen in love with "Guardians of the Galaxy" and 'Groot' was very Griffin. The nickname had stuck.

She finished up mopping and wheeled the mop and bucket back behind the counter and Andy gave ehr the all-clear to go home. She clocked out, took off her apron and grabbed her bag before ehading back out to Griffin. "A walk on the beach? There's a million places to grab a burger and go if you want to do both? I jsut want to catch up with you, however it happens." She looked up at him when she got close to him and reached for his hand, squeezing it tightly. "I've missed you Griffin Pierce, you don't even know how much I've missed you ..."

age 28
timezone PST
pronounsShe/Her
133 posts
20 years old
Little A
barista @ starbucks
taken by griffin
^
"Yeah..." he nodded, taking another sip of his drink. "I mean, I'm not really picky in any case." Back when he lived at home, he took the top bunk of a small bunk bed. Even when he hit his growth spurt and his legs hung over the end, he had to remain it it because there was no space for anything bigger.

Compared to that, everything else sounded fairly luxurious.

"How about...you lead the way and I'll follow you?" he asked with a small tilt of his head and a pleasant smile on his face. "I trust your judgement. Wherever you go is good." There were a lot of things that they needed to catch up on and he was brimming with questions for her.

"I'm not very hungry - I've got this," he held up the frap, "but if you want anything, it'll be my treat."

age 21
timezone EST
pronounsShe/Her
15 posts
21 years old
Griff
Security
Taken
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
Fast Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
Resource Sites
Topsites
Static
Scrolling
Black Prism